Begin with What Goes on the Tag instead of What Goes in the Bag!
The Xenia Box experience was designed around the motto “They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel.”
This phrase, first spoken by Carl Buehner in 1971, could also be re-stated, “They may forget what you bought them or how much you spent, but they will never forget how you made them feel.”
When you put it that way, any gift can be the perfect gift.
Do you stress over and struggle with finding “that perfect gift?”
Like the Good Witch told Dorothy, “You’ve had the power all along.”
GIFT MESSAGE PROMPTS
Here are some message prompts that may get your “writing juices” flowing. They may help you look at the possibilities of an otherwise simple gift.
- That time we went to ___ was ____. I love that you’ve been part of the best memories of my life.
- When I saw this I thought of you and your ______ (describe a personality trait, their style, or a story they always share about an hilarious or embarrassing moment)
- Every time you use this, I hope you think of me and how grateful I am for you.
- This is as unique as you. Don’t ever stop being you!
- I hope this reminds you that life is ______, and my pride in you is endless.
This approach to gift-giving makes your present so much “more.” Why? Because they make someone feel seen, heard, known, appreciated, loved or even just liked if they are a co-worker.
This “special sauce” to your sussy (small gift) can start to feel like a super power. The joy you create through this more personal approach will fill you with abundant pride and delight. Honestly, try it and see!
It also has the added benefit of lowering how much you feel you need to spend on a gift for someone to adequately convey their meaning to you. You can begin to see the potential in all sorts of gifts, and how with the right story or message, anything really can become the perfect gift.
You might make them laugh or cry. But I assure you, regardless, you will make them, and you, smile.
I GAVE SOMEONE A SPOON
For her birthday.
It was pretty – silver-plated, shiny, and large for serving. No, this was not a friend I don’t like. In fact, quite the opposite – she was (and still is!) one of my best friends.
I thought the spoon was lovely but struggled on how to make it an appropriate gift for any time other than to bestow on a bride (and even then….). But then I thought of how much I love her cooking (and how much I love eating it!); how welcoming she always is, quick to pull up an extra chair to her table; how warm and inviting her home and kitchen always are.
And so, with this shiny serving spoon I gave her, I wrote a simple poem that spoke to those things. The gift was a hit. How do I know? Not only did she cry, but our other friends had shiny eyes after reading the note as well.
3 Ways you can use your Xenia Box notecard
Long after the gift is opened, and maybe even perhaps gone, the words you wrote - how you used the card - will be locked in their heart's memory.
SO ... How many ways can you use it? It's like playing a round of PROPS in Whose Line Is It Anyway?
1. YOUR MESSAGE, of course! We recommend more than "To: / From:" :) This is your chance to shine and stand out in a sea of gifts given for an occasion like birthdays or Christmas.
- Connect the gift with a memory or a joke you share. It can be funny or sentimental.
- Compliment the person sincerely (an excellent way to connect with someone like a co-worker you may not know as well as your BFF). This makes them feel seen and appreciated.
- Tell them something kind you've always thought of them, maybe even told them before - put it in writing and sign it. It doesn't have to relate to the gift.
- Got writer's block or not feeling the right words? We've provide message prompts on many of our product listings to give you a nudge or for you to straight-up copy! You can also see “Gift Message Prompts” above.
2. WRITE A CLUE on the card guiding them to where their gift is or a question they have to answer to receive their gift. Like a scavenger hunt without many steps, this use of the card makes the gift-giving and receiving fun and more engaging.
3. TURN IT INTO A "COUPON" with something like "This card entitles you/the recipient to one Movie-of-your-choice Night!" This immediately creates a "gift enhancement." When would you use this? When you want something to compliment or supplement your gift (giving them "more"), like the Movie Night coupon given with a pair of (our) sunglasses that will give them that "Hollywood/Movie Star" style.
What other ways could you use it?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas!